Ceph is open source, software-defined storage maintained by RedHat. It’s capable of block, object, and file storage. The clusters of Ceph are designed in order to run on any hardware with the help of an algorithm called CRUSH (Controlled Replication Under Scalable Hashing). This algorithm ensures that all the data is properly distributed across the cluster and data quickly without any constraints. Replication, Thin provisioning, Snapshots are the key features of the Ceph storage.
There are good reasons for using Ceph as IaaS and PaaS storage :
- Scale your operations and move to market faster.
- Bridge the gaps between application development and data science.
- Gain deeper insights into your data.
- File, block and Object storage in the same wrapper.
- Better transfer speed and lower latency
- Easily accessible storage that can quickly scal up or down .
Site : https://ceph.io/Continue reading “Ceph : An overview”